Zwickau City Museums – Priests’ Houses

Domhof 5-8
08056 Zwickau
Tel. 0375 834551
Fax 0375 834555

The Priests’ Houses were originally conceived for those serving in St Mary’s Church nearby (what is now St Mary’s Cathedral) and they housed the employees of this church or the priests. The houses were mainly used as rented accommodation after the Reformation – and they retained this role until 1977. Thorough restoration work on the buildings did not start until 1993 in order to restore them to their original state. A municipal and cultural history museum with a special character opened here ten years later.

The Priests’ Houses are some of the oldest stone residential buildings in Germany. The origins of this valuable architectural collection of buildings go back to 1264. They had largely been completed by the end of the 15th century and have been preserved almost without any changes. These historical monuments still provide an impression of medieval decor and way of life. The museum takes advantage of this and provides visitors with a graphic illustration of its external impression and the associated cultural historical exhibition of cooking, living, sleeping and learning etc. The sense of unity between the buildings and exhibition provides a high quality source of information and exhibition and the museum offers historical knowledge on life and culture in a memorable way.

Opening times:

Tue - Sun/bank holidays: 1 p.m. – 6 p.m.

Closed on Mondays

Also closed on Good Friday, Ascension Day, the Day of Repentance, Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day

Admission prices:

Adults: € 4; reduced rate: € 2

Families: € 9


Di-So / Feiertage 13:00 - 18:00 Uhr

Mo geschlossen

Karfreitag, Himmelfahrt, Buß- und Bettag, Heiligabend, Silvester und Neujahr ebenfalls geschlossen