Wetzel Mill, which is more than 445 years old, is located in the picturesque Frohna valley, embedded in the villages north of Chemnitz right next to the Frohn stream. The mill often changed hands during its long history and the first official records of the building go back to 1562. The water mill came into the hands of the Wetzel family in 1764 and they retained it for 230 years and it owes its name to them. The building was used by the state farming combine until 1990 and was then left to decay. The Selbsthilfe 91 association has been upgrading the listed farm buildings grouped around a courtyard since 1994 and is gradually restoring this historical jewel to its original state and is safeguarding a valuable cultural asset.
As a result, the mill has become a fully functioning technical monument and museum for visitors. Bread, rolls and cakes are baked at the historic stone oven in the bakery in line with old German recipes. A candle and wood workshop with creative pastimes is available for visitors. The animal pen is home to ponies, a Haflinger horse, a donkey and pigs, hens, llamas, goats, ducks, budgerigars, rabbits, guinea-pigs and sheep. The bees’ nature trail illustrates the way of life of these industrious creatures and the production of honey. And the hostel and a holiday flat in the historical servants’ quarters encourage people to spend a night here. The “Zur Wetzelmühle” restaurant with good home cooking and a beer and courtyard garden ensure that visitors are well catered for.
Mill: Mon - Fri 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Bakery/farm shop: Mon – Fri 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sat 7 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Restaurant: Wed/Thu 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Fri 5 p.m. – 11 p.m.
Sat 11 a.m. – 11 p.m.
Sun 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Guided tour: adults: € 2.50; children: € 1.50
Hostel (26 persons): adults: € 12; children: € 10
Holiday flat (4 double rooms, maisonette) € 18 per bed