The castle, which stands on a crag overlooking the town, is Lichtenstein’s landmark. It was owned by lords, counts and finally the princes of Schönburg-Waldenburg for eight hundred years. It was used as an old people’s home from 1949 until 2000. The castle is now owned by a family from the Schönburg line once again.
But it is not possible to visit the castle or the underground passageways at the moment.